Thursday, July 21, 2011

So Hard to say Goodbye

Why is it so hard to say goodbye... I always find it hard to say goodbye to my college friends at the end of the school year, but then I know when fall comes I'll be seeing them again. 

However, this is different, tomorrow, I'm saying goodbye to some kids that I have grown SO close to while I have been in Thailand these last two weeks. Kids that have finally learned my name, always want to say Hi and jump rope with me, and kids that have just touched my heart. I don't know when I'll ever see them again and it's so hard to say goodbye to them. 

Sure, I'll have millions of memories, lots of great pictures of all the kids, but it will never be the same as seeing their smiling faces, cute little dimples, and beautiful dark brown eyes everyday when they arrive at school and greet you with a happy "Good morning teacher" and running up with a jumprope so that you will twirl the rope while they jump. 

I've gotten used to getting up at 6 in the morning to get to a school that is so Christ-centered in the middle of a Buddhist nation, just to see those kids smile at you, pray to God and sing about how big, strong, and mighty our God is. It has been so much fun to be able to communicate with these kids that hardly know any English except a few words... and really just a few words, a smile, and laughter is all you need to be able to reach out to these kids. 

Overall.. tomorrow is going to be a hard, sad day, I don't think any of the kids fully understand that it is my last day there. We'll say goodbye at the end of the day and that will be it, our final goodbye with a hope to see each other again sometime... 

It's been such a blessing to be here, and while it doesn't look like much has changed on the outside, I know that my heart is forever changed on the inside through what God has taught me while here, how the kids and teachers have reached out to me, and just how special this area of Thailand really is. Sunday night, I'm getting back on a plane and flying back to the States. I'm happy to be going home and excited to get ready for another great year at Dordt, but I know that from now on, a piece of my heart will always be in Thailand and that someday, I need to find a way back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment