Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The truth is...

...I'm getting a tad scared :) 
So, it's only like 3 days till I get all packed up and drive with my family to Chicago. 
We are spending Friday night in Chicago because Kayla's and my flight leaves at 10am Chicago time on Saturday and we have to be there around 2 hours early because it is an international flight. 
I am so excited for this next adventure in my life, but I have to say, I'm also a tad scared. I spent all last night worrying about the plane flight and all the things that could go wrong—engine failing, bad weather, and so many more—then I would go through the whole list of people who have done long flights before and were made it safely there and back. And after reassuring myself, I would go back to worrying. It was such a long night of so many switchbacks going on in my mind. Finally I calmed down and prayed myself to sleep hoping that my fears would be relieved in the morning. 
I woke up this morning and right away started worrying again. I had to run a bunch of errands today—going to appointments, picking up different jobs from work, etc. I was driving around listening to the local MI Christian radio station when the song "Lift Me Up" by the Afters came on. It came at just the perfect time, and I listened to the chorus and realized that God is lifting me up and is carrying me on this journey. 
I want to copy down the lyrics so you all can read them and continue to pray for me and my sister:
You lift me up when I am weak.
Your arms wrap around me.
Your love catches me so I'm letting go.
You lift me up when I can't see.
Your heart's all that I need.
Your love carries me so I'm letting go. 
It's so true, isn't it? God is surrounding us with his love and that's all we need. We don't have to worry, he's catching us and carrying us wherever he is leading us. I'm so beyond blessed to have God guiding me on this journey and to have so many family and friends praying me out to Thailand and back! 
I couldn't do it without the love of God, and the prayers of everyone. How else am I going to stop worrying if I don't let go and rely on God?
Well, like I said earlier, this journey that once seemed like forever ago is finally beginning to creep up on me, and to state it plainly: I'm scared and excited. Scared about 22 hours of air time and being in a foreign country, but most of all, excited to see what God has in store to teach me during this journey! 


And just a fair warning.. I won't be posting again until I'm either in Korea waiting for my next flight or in Thailand! 
Keep the prayers coming my friends, and remember God's carrying us all with his love, we can let go and let God! 

2 comments:

  1. Just remember, Liesl, God is getting on that plane with you, He will be walking with you through the chaos of the airports. He'll have His arms around you and break your heart for what breaks His as you see Him in a whole new way. It's amazing, scary, humbling, and frightening. I'm so excited that you and Kayla have this opportunity, and I pray that all goes well!!!
    -Rachel Yost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! That means a lot! I forgot that you spent a lot of time in Nicaragua, so I'm sure you know what I'm feeling!

    ReplyDelete